The social media boasts of about 2.51 billion active users. This figure is set to rise within the next four years to 3 billion. It accounts for about half of the population of teenagers and adults in the world.
Advertisement and marketing thrives when they are people to see and listen. Social media has provided such platforms. Every small business that has plans of reaching a wider market must leverage these platforms.
This is a list of the ten most advertising friendly social media sites based on their features, reach and effectiveness.
Mack Zuckerberg’s startup has grown tremendously over the years. It is the most popular social media platform (SMP) in the world. 3/4 of its users visit the site daily. It’s actually a house hold name and it’s suitable for practically any type of business and demography.
- 2 billion users
- 76% of total users visits daily
- 75% of male internet users and 83% of female internet users use Facebook
- 100 million hours of video are watched daily
- 50 million businesses use Facebook pages
- 3 million companies use Facebook paid ads services
- 2.5 billion comments are left on Facebook pages by users monthly
- Hashtag campaigns that allow users to follow any trend or discussion
- Ability to create, publicize and get insights on events. For instance, a user can create and publicize an Auction Event and invite people to it.
- Communities of mutual interests called Groups.
- Pages for businesses, products, brands, et cetera
- Paid ads that can reach hundreds of millions of people in hours, starting from as low as $2.
- Easy integration to websites and applications.
- Live streaming of videos
2. Google Plus
After trying and failing a number times to create a unique social network, Google finally dropped Google+. Although it also suffered huge setbacks, recent changes made it finally fit into the market. It is popular for its communities and collections. The easy integration to Gmail is actually one of the reasons why users signed up for it in the first instance. The major difference plus on Google+ is the ability to target contents to specific people.
- 375 million users
- 27 million unique monthly visits
- 40% of marketers use Google+
- 70% of brands use Google+
- 78% of users are male
- 33% annual growth rate
- 55% of users are from the US
- Hashtag campaigns
- Easy integration to Hangout app for video chats.
- Target sharing of contents
- Circles: it allow users to classify their followers into distinct groups.
- Easy sharing to Google+ the “+” which in integrated into all google products.
- Communities which are large groups of Google+ users with mutual interests.
Instagram is to pictures just as YouTube is to videos, although recent updates have seen Instagram opening her arms to video sharing. It’s the number one photo sharing network. It’s also a very popular marketing platform for brands. Use the right hashtag, and you’ll be amazed at how fast your content will go viral.
- 700 million users
- 57% of users visits daily
- 95 million photo uploaded daily
- 68% of users are female
- 32% of all internet users use Instagram
- 48.8% of brands use it for marketing
- Very resourceful hashtag campaigns
- Video uploads that gets 2 times the engagement of photos on other platforms
- Multimedia stories which allows users to upload number of multimedia in a slide array
- Integration with other social media platforms
- Insights on published multimedia
- Better hashtag impact than Twitter
- Paid Ads services.
Yelp is a social platform primarily used for reviewing products and brands. It’s been in the market since 2004 but hasn’t really gotten the commensurate recognition. 80% of its users are from the US. It would have ranked higher if it had a better number of users beyond the States. Apart from reviews, it hosts a catalogue of various types of businesses. Let’s just say it’s an hub where businesses registers their online presence. Reviews from Yelp has proven to be very effective. Users often check the reviews on a store or restaurant before trying it out.
- 145 million users
- 2.8 million local businesses are on Yelp
- 138,000 local advertisers are on Yelp
- 80% of users are from US
- 73 million monthly visitors
- 6-10% revenue increment for businesses who got extra star on yelp
- Yelp reservations: for booking reservations in restaurants and related places.
- Reviews of businesses
- Listings of businesses
- It is just a perfect site for promoting local businesses in the US.
Twitter is a “serious” real-time micro blogging platform. It is almost compulsory for every government in the world to have an official twitter handle. Celebrities are not left out too. This is one of the reasons why people visits it with the hope of getting the latest trends, gists and gossips around the globe. Although Facebook and other SMP have adopted the Hashtag feature, Twitter is the pioneer.
- 313 million users
- 42% of users visits daily
- 88% of businesses with over 100 employees use twitter for marketing
- 30% of internet users with university degrees use Twitter
- 22% of high school degree holders or less are on Twitter
- Hashtag campaigns
- 140 characters per post
- Trends that shows the most tweeted stuff in the world.
- Paid Ads services
Pinterest is the home of shopping ideas. It’s a unique social network that avails users the opportunity to create pin boards where interests of choice are pinned. Pins are multimedia contents – images and videos. It greatly influences the purchases of a great number of its users. It is a suitable advertising and marketing platform for physical products through the use of multimedia.
- 150 million users
- 25% of users visits daily
- 81% of users are female
- 93% of users use it to plan purchases and 87% have had their purchases influenced by Pinterest.
- 25% of all retail website referral traffic are driven by Pinterest
- 101 million food and 148 million fashion boards are currently on Pinterest
- Posting of multimedia content (an act called pinning)
- Pinning of videos from other platforms
- Pinboards: for pinning articles of interest
- Promoted videos (a type of paid ads services)
- Promoted apps pin: for advertising of brands’ apps
YouTube is synonymous to videos. It’s often referred to as the “video search engine” because it has videos of almost everything you can think of. With a vast community of 1 billion registered users and almost 5 billion videos viewed daily by registered and unregistered users, YouTube stand out as the number one social network for video oriented marketing. Despite its popularity, it is not as effective as its counterpart, Facebook.
- 1.3 billion users
- 30 million visitors per day
- 432,000 hours of video are uploaded daily
- 3.25 billion hours of videos are watched daily
- 4.95 billion videos are viewed daily
- 10,000 videos have gotten over 1 billion views each (with the figures rising).
- Channels where users can upload their videos for the world to see.
- Paid Ads services that is integrated to related videos.
- Live streaming which allows users to stream live (real-time) events or functions including a football match.
- Charts for ranking the top videos.
Reddit is a social news and entertainment network where user post contents in forms of text or links. Its uses non-conventional terminologies like ‘karma’, ‘meta’ and ‘subreddits’ to describe some of its features. It makes use of votes to rank posts. Most of the posts on reddit are entertainment oriented.
- 250 million users
- 8 billion monthly pageviews
- 43 million visits daily
- 50,000 communities
- 853,000 subreddits
- Thousands of Communities
- Contents are targeted to communities. It is actually effecting for content promotion.
- Voting of content posted by users
- Encourages the sharing of links
- Paid Ads that are arguably as effective as that of Facebook.
Most people won’t consider Tumblr as a social media site. It has the features of WordPress and Blogger, and it’s more of a blog-hosting platform. But it’s way more than that. Tumblr, as a micro blogging site allow users to host blogs on the site, just as Facebook users have timelines. Users can subsequently decide to use a custom domain on their respective blogs.
- 349 million blogs
- 555 million monthly visitors
- 61 million posts daily
- 69% of users are millennials
- 42% of traffic comes from the US
- Sponsored ads
- Blogs than can be optimised for search engines
- Brands can be creators
- Analytics for content insights
This is not popular very popular among youths due to its unique kind of users. It is the biggest social network for professionals in all spheres. Users update their profiles with their résumés featuring job experiences, certifications, skills and specializations. It’s also a good platform for entrepreneurs to publicise their businesses.
- 500 million users
- 18% of users visits daily
- Profiles with photos get 21 more profile views and 36 more messages.
- 3 million users share contents weekly
- Groups which are communities of users with the same interest. Your voice can be heard louder here
- Company page for updating important information and promotions in your business.
- Recommendations and Endorsement: It allow users’ skills to be rated by other users. More rates means more potential business for you.
- Multimedia (video and pictures) integration to your profile. It’s pretty good way of advertisement.
- Paid Ads using CPC or CPM pricing.
- Also features sponsored in-mail ads.